Plaque is a sticky and fuzzy film that builds up on your teeth. It contains millions of bacteria that eat away and break down your enamel. This bacteria causes tooth decay and gum disease if left untreated! Plaque can be severe and build up on teeth to a point where you have to get a deep cleaning at the dentist. Not to worry! Most plaque is easily removed. Plaque builds up from the food and drinks we consume. Usually after you eat something sugary, or haven’t brushed your teeth in a while, you can feel the plaque on your teeth.
How to get rid of plaque:
Plaque is difficult to see until it gets built up, but it is still there. It is important to take care of your teeth and create good oral hygiene habits so the plaque on your teeth does not create decay! Here are a couple ways to get rid of and prevent dental plaque:
- Brush your teeth
- Dentists recommend brushing your teeth for at least two minutes, twice a day. Ask your dentist the best toothpaste to prevent plaque from building up. Brush with a soft bristle toothbrush and focus on all parts of your teeth.
- When you start to feel plaque on your teeth, make sure to brush them! Mouthwash alone does not take plaque off your teeth.
- Floss Daily
- Floss reaches places that your toothbrush might not. It is best to floss daily to remove any plaque buildup between your teeth.
- Clean Eating
- Sugar helps to feed the bacteria on your teeth. Make sure to eat and drink foods that do not contain high amounts of sugar. When you do decide to indulge the tasty treats everyone loves, make sure to brush your teeth after!
- Visit your Dentist
- Visit your Dentist at least twice a year to get a professional cleaning. Hygienists are able to clean any plaque buildup off your teeth and give you recommendations for flossing, brushing, and oral health!
Here at River Dental, we want to give you the smile you deserve, and that starts with taking care of your teeth! Plaque is a sticky inconvenience that no one wants. Call or text us to schedule an appointment for a cleaning today!