When a tooth suffers extensive decay or some type of damage, the root canal is exposed to harmful bacteria that causes infection. In turn, the infection causes swelling, tooth pain, abscess, or other distressing symptoms.
A root canal is a treatment used when a tooth’s nerve or pulp has become infected or inflamed. The main purpose of a root canal is to save the tooth and restore oral health.
Benefits of a Root Canal
There are numerous benefits to this procedure.
It Can Save Your Tooth | A root canal can save you from a tooth extraction. The loss of a tooth can lead to bone loss and premature aging. If you can save the tooth, you will not need a more costly restorative procedure later.
It’s Simple | The root canal treatment is a fairly simple procedure. Most patients find the experience similar to that of having a filling placed.
Less Discomfort | The pain from an infected tooth can be debilitating. Clearing out the infected pulp can help relieve your toothache and improve your oral health.
The Root Canal Procedure – Step by Step
We know it is important to know what is going to happen during a procedure in order to relieve anxiety. A root canal procedure is a fairly simple way to restore your health.
- Anesthesia. The first step is to numb your tooth.
- Clearing the Way. We create an opening in the pulp chamber of your tooth.
- Removing the Infection. The infected pulp is removed.
- Shaping. With the pulp gone, the area is shaped to make room for the filling material. The canals are irrigated to clean and remove debris.
- Gutta-Percha. A permanent filling material known as gutta-percha is placed in the canals to prevent another infection.
- Temporary Material. A temporary cap is placed until the permanent crown is ready.
- The Crown. Once the tooth is ready for the crown, the temporary cap is removed and replaced with a permanent filling or crown.
With this procedure, we can relieve the symptoms of your tooth infection and protect your mouth from another one.
A root canal shouldn’t be put off. If you need a root canal treatment, our quality team is here for you. Call for an appointment today!